Carlos Says Adios

Jul 03, 2017 by

Midfielder Shaun Carlos has parted company with the Brisbane Strikers.

Carlos has exited Perry Park to rerejoin Lions FC – the club at which he played all of his football prior to joining Brisbane Strikers before the start of the 2015 PlayStation ® 4 NPL Queensland season. Carlos made 35 PlayStation ® 4 National Premier Leagues appearances for the Brisbane Strikers, scoring four goals, and five further appearances in the Westfield FFA Cup.

Along the way Carlos picked up a PlayStation ® 4 NPL Queensland premiership-winners medal as part of former coach Kevin A’Herne-Evans’ squad that took out the league title, went all the way to the semi-finals of the PS4 NPL national playoffs and also to the Round of 16 in the Westfield FFA Cup where Strikers lost 2-1 at home to Hyundai A-League club Melbourne City FC.

But for 23-year-old Carlos, rather too many of his appearances for Strikers came off the bench. He has returned to Lions in search of more game time.

Injury and illness played their parts in preventing the hard-running midfielder from gaining a regular starting spot last year, while this year the acquisitions of Michael Lee and Ethan Docherty and the emergence of Strikers youth product Ryan Palmer have all conspired to frustrate Carlos’s desire for more game time.

Strikers head coach Sean Lane said he was disappointed to lose Carlos at a key stage of his team’s season and made it clear that, while Carlos had been unable to cement a starting position in his team, it had not been for lack of trying.

“He trained the house down every session, he’s an absolutely top bloke, but he wasn’t getting the amount of game time he wanted,” Lane said.

“He’s only 23 years old and he wanted to play and I fully understand the reasons why he wanted to go.

“I’ve got nothing but good things to say about Shaun Carlos. He’s committed and hard-working but we’ve played the last thirteen games, won eleven and drawn two and it’s hard to change the combinations, particularly in midfield where we are really strong”.

For his part, Carlos confirmed tonight that his decision to leave was based purely on football reasons and that he did so with no hard feelings towards Strikers.

“The club’s brilliant,” Carlos said.

“Everyone in it, even behind the scenes, is brilliant and I would maybe return if the opportunity was there. Everyone knows that it’s a top club”.

Carlos’s departure could not have come at a worse time for Lane, whose midfield stocks have also suffered the temporary loss of Palmer, who broke his arm in a game for the club’s Under-20s a fortnight ago and is expected to be out of action until early August.

Club News, News

About the author

Media Liaison, Brisbane Strikers Mob: 0432 085 222